The U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai in partnership with Akshara Centre
invite 10 performers
to a 10-day artists’ residency in Mumbai
to share your work around WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT
- At this residency, you will:
- a. showcase your work
- b. interact with Mumbai-based artists and audience
- c. collaborate on newer projects and showcase your art at a finale performance
Submission window: 15th July 2017 – 31st August 2017 (11:59 pm IST)
Categories for solo applicants:
- Page: short story writers, poets, haibuneers*
- Stage: true-life storytellers, dancers, spoken-word artists, stand-up comedians, thespians, rappers, singers, puppeteers, short film-makers etc.
A URL link of your work in a 2-minute audio or video recording to firstname.lastname@example.org with Submission, [genre] [geographic location] in the subject line. For e.g.: Submission, short story, Manipur
- It must be a dramatic reading or recording that underscores the performative element of your work. You may upload your recording to Soundcloud/Youtube and share the URL or submit a link of your work.
- The text transcript of your recording in 12-size font, Cambria in .doc or .PDF formats
- Your bio note in 200 words
- A scanned copy of your government-issued photo ID
Dance (Solo) is the only category that can include any language.
Video limit: 2 minutes
Results by: 15th September 2017
Please subscribe to our newsletter, or follow us on Facebook
Twitter: @ArcsofaCircle to receive updates.
Only the 10 selected candidates will be contacted.
What narratives should our submission focus on?
This project will focus on gender empowerment against the context of oppression, in the Indian society, across intersections of caste, class, sexual orientation, age, and religion.
What is the criteria of selection?
- have performative-storytelling elements
- are fresh, startling, and innovative in their interpretation of the theme
- use variations in tones and styles of content and delivery that tends toward positivity and advocacy
Who can apply?
Open only to Indian citizens, 25 years of age and above.
This program is for emerging to mid-career level artists.
When would the residency take place?
7th December 2017 – 17th December 2017
Would expenses be covered?
The travel and accommodation for participants from outside Mumbai will be covered entirely.
Participants from Mumbai will be paid a fixed travel allowance, and provided meals (lunch and teas) during the work hours.
What if my recording is longer than 2 minutes?
The jury will listen/view the first 2 minutes.
Do you accept published work?
Published or performed work is welcome, so long as you own the copyrights.
Shortlisted participants will be requested to submit their entire works.
*A haibuneer is the one who practices the Japanese prose-poetry form of haibun.
- Non-compliance to any guideline will lead to an automatic disqualification.
- Your work must not infringe any third-party copyright or trademark, or violate the rights of any person or entity.
- Ensure you only use content you are authorized to use.
- The program reserves the right to cancel a nomination in case of irreconcilable conflict.
- The decision of the jury will be final and binding to all.
Queries may be directed to: email@example.com with Query in the subject line.
The U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai
Nandita Shah – Co-director, Akshara Centre
Rochelle Potkar – Program Co-Founder & Manager
Subodh Roche (logo design)
Bhuwan Silhare (painting)
Nilanjan Basu (photograph)